Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Best Actress Of The Silent Era: Lillian Gish


If they'd handed out a career Oscar to the most highly regarded actress of the silent era, Lillian Gish would have been the consensus choice. My personal feeling is that Louise Brooks was better. But as I'll explain in connection with my picks for 1929-30, Louise Brooks's best silent films were made during the sound era; so we'll get to her later.

Another good choice would be Greta Garbo, who was the most luminescent of the silent film stars and very popular with audiences before words started coming out of her mouth. But she didn't show up until right at the end of the silent era, and like Louise Brooks, I think her best work came after the introduction of sound.

Mary Pickford would also be a good choice. She was so popular during the silent era, she was known as "America's Sweetheart" and was Hollywood's highest-paid performer, male or female.

Pickford's success was not limited to work in front of the camera. She produced thirty-four movies, wrote twelve more, co-founded the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and, along with Charles Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks, formed the United Artists Pictures studio. She won a competitive Oscar in 1930 for Coquette, and the Academy further recognized her in 1976 with a lifetime achievement award.

So why not choose Mary Pickford? Two reasons. First, I have the benefit of 20/20 foresight, knowing I am going to give her a Katie for her performance in the 1927 film, My Best Girl. Second, though, and more importantly, based on what I've seen of Lillian Gish and Mary Pickford, I simply think Gish was the better actress.

Finally, we've all heard of Gloria Swanson, if only because she played fictional silent film star Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard, and as William Holden says, "You used to be big."

"I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

Unfortunately, I'll have to take her word for it. I just haven't seen enough of Swanson's work outside of Sunset Boulevard to say for sure.

So Lillian Gish it is. She was highly regarded at the peak of her career and is still highly regarded by people who know more about the Silent Era than I do.


Besides, I like what I've seen of her.
Gish worked primarily with director D.W. Griffith and starred in his most famous movies, including the highly-controversial The Birth Of A Nation, its follow-up apology, Intolerance, and the three best silent films Gish made prior to our 1927 cutoff date, Broken Blossoms, Way Down East and Orphans Of The Storm. Gish's style was understated, at least for a time when most movie acting consisted of broad, obvious gestures and exaggerated facial expressions, and she brought a needed realism to a highly-stylized medium.

She made seventy-four movies before The Jazz Singer came along and effectively ended the Silent Era.

Her popularity already in decline, Gish made her last silent movie in 1928. The Wind, in which Gish plays a rape victim, is now rightly regarded as a classic, but with "talkies" already flooding theaters, it was viewed upon its initial release as the relic of another age. While directors and critics were split on the artistic merit of the new sound technology, the public was not. The Wind bombed, so much so, MGM released Gish from her contract.

Gish made a handful of movies after that, the best being the expressionistic noir thriller The Night Of The Hunter in 1955 where she co-starred with Robert Mitchum in one of his most famous roles. In 1946, she was nominated for best supporting actress for her work in Duel In The Sun and she received an honorary Oscar in 1971 recognizing her "contributions to the progress of motion pictures."

She made her last movie in 1987.

4 comments:

Blog Pimp said...

small, smaller, smallest -- a much-needed departure [much needed by me].

Her death at age 99 meant that she had time to see how whacked things would get without having to read about herself on the Internet.

I quite like that

Mythical Monkey said...

In the context of your post "Jane Greer = Chubb Rock" on your famous blog, The Mouth O' The Mule, I'm not 100% sure what the "small, smaller, smallest" comment refers to -- we are moving from Yvonne Craig to Jane Greer to Lillian Gish -- but I do like the idea of living to 99 without having to read about myself on the internet.

I hope I didn't downplay my respect and admiration for Lillian Gish's work -- she was a top-notch actress, more than worthy of winning the first Katie-Bar-The-Door Award.

Her two best movie performances, by the way, came after the Silent Era: The Wind and The Night Of The Hunter ...

Michael Powers said...

The Museum of Modern Art in New York City is in the midst of a Lillian Gish retrospective as I write this, presenting all her extant major works on a huge screen, and the restorations are beyond sensational. I wish I understood more about the mechanics of that because I'm seeing details that I don't think could've possibly been available but apparently are. The effect of seeing these films projected on a gargantuan theatrical screen is altogether different from merely seeing it on DVD on a big flat TV screen.

Unknown said...

I think she was a great actor but I have not seen her sister in many movies