Thursday, February 10, 2011

Today's Oscar Trivia #10

Sweet Music Sammy Cahn holds the record for most nominations as a songwriter (26), with four wins in the Best Song category. "It's Magic," nominated as Best Song for its lyrics by Cahn and music by Jule Styne, was sung by Doris Day in what 1948 shipboard musical?

The Most Decorated Decorator When it comes to Art and Set Decoration, nobody comes close to Cedric Gibbons, with 39 nominations and 11 wins. One of his Oscars came for what musical starring Gene Kelly that also won as Best Picture of 1951?

6 comments:

Erik Beck said...

Romance on the High Seas I actually had to look up.

An American in Paris is easy.

Mythical Monkey said...

Romance on the High Seas I actually had to look up.

I confess I had never heard of it. Turns out it was Doris Day's first movie. It starred Jack Carson, Janis Paige and Don DeFore, with supporting performances by Oscar Levant, S.Z. Sakall, Eric Blore and Franklin Pangborn.

Dennis Schwartz at Ozu's World Movie Reviews gives it a C+. And quite frankly, it sounds like a C+ movie ...

Erik Beck said...

I gave it a 65, which is a low level ***, but I honestly remember absolutely nothing about it.

Mythical Monkey said...

A 65, huh. Sounds like one of my old Latin quizzes ...

whistlingypsy said...

I saw ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS around Christmas/New Year’s and though I wasn’t thrilled with the film, Oscar Levant was the high point; it was a good bit of escapist fun.

Mythical Monkey said...

Oscar Levant was the high point

Oscar Levant is an under-appreciated movie treasure. I could watch that big, hang-dog face spouting cynical quips in anything.