Saturday, February 19, 2011

Today's Oscar Trivia #19

The Most Supportive Actor Walter Brennan holds the record for most wins as Best Supporting Actor (three) and is tied for the most nominations (four). For what 1941 drama about a World War I hero did he receive his final nomination?

Clean Sweeps Five times in Academy history has a Best Picture winner won in every category in which it was nominated. Only three times has this happened when more than five nominations were at stake. One such instance was a 1958 Vincente Minnelli musical. Name it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

. Brennan for sergeant york?
. Gigi which hasn't aged very well, but cecil beaton's costumes are pretty great, has everything going for it visually. Maurice Chevalier has gone from an ordinary old man to very a creepy one to modern viewers lol.

Mythical Monkey said...

Hey, Zoe! You win today.

Maurice Chevalier singing "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" might be one of the creepiest moments in film history. And faithful reader Who Am Us has related the lasting damage a Maurice Chevalier Christmas special did to his youthful psyche.

Fortunately, as part of researching this blog, I saw all those Ernst Lubitsch musical comedies from the early sound era. The young Chevalier's not bad, in a Pepe Le Pew sort of way ...

Yvette said...

I love GIGI. So I must demur. Loved Maurice Chevalier in it, then and now. I think the song must be taken in context. The story should be taken in the turn of the century context of the original Colette stories. These were about a fairly specific level of society. GIGI continues to be one of my favorite films. For me, age cannot wither, nor custom stale her infinite variety. Yeah, she's no Cleo, but what the hell, I love the damn movie.

I see in the background of the photo of Walter Brennan, the pix of one of my teenage crushes: the incredibly gorgeous John Russell. Thanks for that.

Mythical Monkey said...

You know, I should watch Gigi now that I've seen Chevalier's early work. It might hit me in an entirely different way.