Friday, May 6, 2011

Haiku? Gesundheit!

The latest meme making its way around the blog-o-sphere are haiku reviews of favorite movies. A haiku, for those of you not versed in Japanese poetry, is a seventeen syllable poem juxtaposing two ideas, usually, though not always, broken into three lines of five, seven and five syllables. Done right, a haiku should put you in mind of wind chimes in a shady garden as a yellow jacket stings your knee.

Actually, "wind chimes in a shady garden as a yellow jacket stings your knee" is itself something of a haiku, now that I think about it. As is "we'll always have Van Tiffen and Legion Field—here's looking at you, kick" which my little brother wrote about the 1985 Auburn-Alabama game and the pain of losing. I'd say other than that sunburn I got at a Vanderbilt game once, it was the most painful sporting event I've ever attended..

Anyway, here is my own meager contribution, a haiku review of the Mythical Monkey itself:

one monkey typing
forty-five minutes—oh, lord,
another film blog


Well, whaddya want for nothing—Shakespeare?

Coming soon: My review of D.W. Griffith's Intolerance. In many more than seventeen syllables.

11 comments:

Maggie said...

"Wind chimes in a shady garden as a yellow jacket stings your knee."

That is frickin' beautiful, MM.

Pssst... you've got some competition with KC. She's pretty darn good. She is the yellow jacket on your knee.

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Curses! I actually hadn't known the "juxtaposing 2 ideas" part -- man you just raised the net on my tennis court and put all my haikus into double faults (sports metaphor) (tennis is TOO a sport!)

Mythical Monkey said...

The truth is, Who, I know less about haiku than I know about Lady Gaga, and I don't know anything about Lady Gaga. The thing about juxtaposing a two ideas was the way I interpreted what I've read about the form, but I could very easily have misunderstood.

I wouldn't throw away those haikus if I were you.

Mythical Monkey said...

That is frickin' beautiful, MM.

Unless, of course, you've been stung by a yellow jacket.

KC, by the way, is impressive competition all the way around. I'm just happy to be here.

You know, a good friend of mine used to say, "this is a very simple game: you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."

Think about that for a while.

Maggie said...

I feel you are trying to tell me something. Could you be more specific?

Mythical Monkey said...

I feel you are trying to tell me something. Could you be more specific?

Nah, I'm just mocking myself. As I was responding to your comment, I could hear myself self-deprecating my self-deprecation, when what I really wanted to say was "Thanks for the compliment but I haven't got a clue what I'm doing and I feel terribly exposed." I picked up on the line "I'm just happy to be here" and just finished off the rest of Nuke LaLoosh's interview at the end of Bull Durham.

Which, by the way, isn't great because of the baseball or the romance but because of its pitch-perfect meditation on what it's like to be marginally talented.

In case you're interested, my notes on Bull Durham will be the subject of the fifth installment of That's Typing Tuesday ...

Stay tuned.

Uncle Tom said...

that looks painful, would you like some ointment?

poke, poke, poke

Mythical Monkey said...

that looks painful, would you like some ointment?

poke, poke, poke


No thanks, Ma. Just like the other nine times you asked me.

Ah, those were the days.

mister muleboy said...

monkey at the plate
swinging wildly,connecting
--but always doubting

Mythical Monkey said...

monkey at the plate
swinging wildly,connecting
--but always doubting


Makes me work harder.

Mythical Monkey said...

Got tired of waiting for Blogger to restore all the missing comments.

mister muleboy:
monkey at the plate
swinging wildly,connecting
--but always doubting


Mythical Monkey: Makes me work harder.