Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Latest Poll Results ... And A New Poll

The latest poll results are in. "Of the five movies the Marx Brothers made at Paramount Pictures, which have you seen?" Thirty-one of you responded, with 28 saying you had seen Duck Soup, 25 Horse Feathers and Monkey Business and 21 Animal Crackers and The Cocoanuts.

Three admitted "I have not seen any of these movies!" which I choose to interpret as meaning three lucky souls still have a chance to experience their first Marx Brothers movie—or at least their first Marx Brothers movie from the Paramount Pictures era. Do you remember your first Marx Brothers movie? I do. Monkey Business on PBS one Saturday afternoon, initially because my parents insisted, but soon enough because it was so much fun to watch. And the first one in a theater? A midnight showing of Animal Crackers when I was a teenager.

As for the new poll? It's Carole Lombard's birthday. "Of these classic Carole Lombard performances, which is your favorite?" Your choices: 1) Twentieth Century 2) My Man Godfrey 3) Nothing Sacred 4) To Be Or Not To Be. As always, vote in the poll at the top right-hand side of the page.

Make us proud.

6 comments:

l'il jimmy watson said...

Godfrey

GodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfrey



GodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfreyGodfrey



Of course, that could be the Powell Effect

Mythical Monkey said...

Yeah, William Powell is brilliant in My Man Godfrey. Actually, 1936 was a big year all around for him -- a best actor nomination for My Man Godfrey, a best picture nom for Libeled Lady, he was the title character in the best picture winner The Great Ziegfeld, and he also starred in After The Thin Man and The Ex-Mrs. Bradford. And he was engaged to marry Jean Harlow.

It couldn't get any better.

But it did get worse. The next year, Jean Harlow died and Powell was diagnosed with cancer ...

Maggie said...

I love 'My Man Godfrey.' I actually find it sad at times.

Could these two really be together?

Mythical Monkey said...

Could these two really be together?

If you mean William Powell and Carole Lombard at the end of My Man Godfrey, I've always had my doubts. They seem like such a completely mismatched pair -- which is part of the screwball genre, I think. But in real life, I'd give it a year, maybe.

Of course, if you're talking about me and Mister Muleboy, well, we've been pals for 23 years. But then I don't have to live with him ...

Maggie said...

I've had many a sleepless night wondering, "How can it be?" with one of the above. : )

WV: 'Brango' Sounds like an old Western TV series.

mister muleboy said...

Of course, if you're talking about me and Mister Muleboy, well, we've been pals for 23 years. But then I don't have to live with him ...


I've never dried your dishes. . . .