Friday, April 12, 2013
Catching Up—The Liebster Blog Award
While my brother and I were on the road from Seattle to Baltimore last week, Andrew D. of 1001 Movies I (Apparently) MUST See Before I Die blessed me with the Liebster Blog Award.
Thank you, Andrew!
I've been following Andrew's blog for quite a while now—since 2009, he's been watching his way through Stephen Jay Schneider's bossy tome 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, and writing his own reviews of these don't-expire-without-having-seen-them classics. Quite a project.
Anyway, the Liebster Blog Award has over the years become something of a project in and of itself—now requiring the recipient to divulge eleven random facts about him- or herself, answer eleven questions, make up eleven more questions and choose eleven more worthy winners. Jeepers! Somebody must have been a fan of This is Spinal Tap—everything goes up to eleven.
It's too much, really, and three is a much more pleasant number anyway, I think. So I hereby decree that from now on thou shall count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out!
Three random facts gleaned from my trip across America:
1. I meticulously researched every aspect of the drive from Seattle to Baltimore—routes, hotels, restaurants, sites of interest—yet somehow forgot to note the departure time of my flight out, arriving at the airport only minutes before the plane took off.
2. Mt. Rushmore is even more spectacular than advertised. Also, if George Washington's nose is twenty-one feet long, can you imagine how much Martha Washington must have enjoyed the rest of him—the father of our country indeed!
3. Wall Drug—which, if you've ever driven through that part of the country you have no doubt heard of—is so chock full floor to ceiling with cheap souvenirs, it is, as my brother put it, like being trapped in the bottom of an arcade claw machine.
And now to answer three of the eleven questions from Andrew D.:
6. You're going to be stranded on a deserted island and can take along five movies...what are they?
Dvds on boat building, survival skills, basic first aid, edible wild plants, and Casablanca (on Blu-Ray, of course).
8. Why do you blog about movies?
Mister Muleboy made me do it.
10. How big is your DVD collection?
Bigger than George Washington's, that's for sure! Around 800, I think.
(To read all eleven questions, click here.)
And now for three questions of my own—and in lieu of choosing three Liebster Award winners, I'll just direct them to specific people (but anyone may answer):
1.(For Erik Beck, Jerry Dean Roberts, Little Golden Guy, Jon Mullich, Louis Morgan, Stinky Lulu, Matt, Oscar Nerd, Boudu, Sage Slowdive, Fritz, Danny Perry, and anybody else in the alternate Oscar biz) Which Oscar first made you realize the Academy didn't know what it was doing?
2. (For my brother Tom, Mister Muleboy, Who Am Us Anyway, Infinite Fool, the Happy Goat Band, Mister Pleasant, Power Pop, Bobby Bare Jr., and everybody else who listens to music) What one song best expresses who you are as a music fan?
3. (For Carole & Co., Rosalind Russell: Dazzling Star, the Louise Brooks Society, VKMfanHuey, Molly Brown, and everybody else who has devoted him- or herself to a classic film actress) What made you fall in love with the actress you blog about?
That's it. Have at it.