Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Honorable Mentions Of 1929-30

Louise Brooks left a comment this morning suggesting she's impatient for my post revealing the best picture of 1929-30, and I am working on it. In the meantime, take a look at some of the performers I considered for nominations before I decided to go in a different direction:

The Marx Brothers ...

... and Margaret Dumont (The Cocoanuts)

Gary Cooper (The Virginian)

Helen Morgan (Applause)

Anita Page (Our Modern Maidens)

Lilyan Tashman (Bulldog Drummond)

Leila Hyams (The Big House)

I encourage you search each of them out (some, I'm sure you have already). They are well worth the effort.

2 comments:

Mz. Louise Brooks said...

Gahd Bless Margaret Dumont.

Oblivious or not, can you imagine the brothers without her as a maypole? They could grab any comedic rope that they want, swing as wildly as they could, and get pulled back to center.

Only to spin away again, bouncing their legs off her ample torso. . . .

Mythical Monkey said...

I'm eventually going to write about Margaret Dumont at some length. To my mind, she rather than Zeppo was the true fourth Marx Brother.

In fact, I've already written an entire essay about her. I'm just saving it up for the appropriate moment. I promise to post it by Christmas 2010 for sure!