Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Happy 115th To Gladys Brockwell

Gladys Brockwell is another of those names I confess I didn't know until I started working on this blog but now that I know it, I think you should know it, too.

Born to chorus girl Lillian Lindeman on this day in 1894, Brockwell started working on the stage in New York at the age of three and made her first movie at the age of nineteen. Brockwell made 115 movies during the Silent and Early Sound eras, but she's primarily known now for two performances, as the mad Sister Gudule in the 1923 silent version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame (starring Lon Chaney), and as Janet Gaynor's brutally abusive sister in 1927's 7th Heaven, one of the three movies the Academy cited the year Gaynor won her only Oscar.

You can also look for Brockwell in Chaney's 1922 version of Oliver Twist, in the early talkie Lights of New York and in a bit part with Louise Brooks in Howard Hawks's A Girl in Every Port.

Brockwell died in 1929 of peritonitis after being seriously injured in an automobile accident.

3 comments:

Mz. Louise Brooks said...

RIP

mister muleboy said...

Please quit yankin' your crank in the back room to some old Wallace Beery movie and get on with writing, will ya?


Sheesh

Douglas Fairbanks said...

okay, somebody is impersonating me, and I want that sonuvabitch to stop and right now.

I'll take a sword to you quicker than you can spell "ow!"