Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tag, You're It

Faithful reader hanner_da_nanner of Hanner's Blog Mmkay has tagged me with the latest internet meme called "Tag You're It." The rules are simple: I answer eight questions she asks, come up with eight questions of my own, and tag eight more people. I was going to leave it until after I posted my essay about Paul Muni, but then I started thinking about it, which, of course, is always a mistake.

As the man said, "Don't think, you'll only hurt the ballclub."

Her questions and my answers:

1-Who was your mentor growing up? What about now?
I can't say I've ever had an Obi-Wan-Kenobi style mentor, but I've learned an awful lot from people with names like Katie-Bar-The-Door, Mister Muleboy, Bellotoot, Susan, my brothers Tom and Steve, but first and foremost Robert Osborne.

2-If you had a shopping spree at one store, which store would it be?
My very favorite store, Amazon.com.

3-If you could own any pet, what would you have, and what would you name it?
Why, this little doggie right here ...

4-If you could start any business, what would you start?
Monkey Business, of course.

5-Dream vacation spot?
Anywhere Katie-Bar-The-Door is.

6-If you started a charity, what would it be for?
I'd like to give essays about movies to all the little children of the world. Or food. Food would also be good.

7-What's on your Christmas list this year?
After eight straight Christmases on the road, spending Christmas at home. Everything else is icing on the sugar cookies.

8-What are/would you be for Halloween?
Rich.

And my eight questions:
1) You're walking down the street when a talking penguin asks you for a movie recommendation. Assuming you're wearing your favorite shoes, which pair are you wearing?

2) If you had to live one day from your life over and over again, which musical instrument would you learn how to play?

3) This one courtesy of Eddie Izzard: Cake or death? [see it below]

4) Which is your favorite railroad in a game of Monopoly?

5) Tapas in Barcelona or moules et frites in Paris?

6) If you were nougat, would you want to be covered in milk-, dark- or white-chocolate?

7) If you could be any character from a movie, who would be your co-star?

8) You're coming to bat in a major league game for the first time—what's your theme song?

I don't think I'm allowed to tag hanner back again, so I'm picking the last eight bloggers not named hanner_da_nanner who left comments on my blog. That'll teach you.

Mister Muleboy of The Mouth O' The Mule
Who of Who Am Us Anyway
Thingy of Pondering Life
Erik Beck of News From The Boston Becks
Yvette of in so many words ...
VP81955 of Carole & Co.
Ginger Ingenue of Asleep In New York
Beveridge D. Spencer of Cool Beveridge

But I encourage everyone to respond in the comments section below. We here at the Monkey want to know what you think!

P.S. Eddie Izzard's "Cake or Death" bit:

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Dang it, I forgot about Amazon!
:(

Your questions are MUCH more interesting. haha. I always blank on stuff like that.

:D

Mythical Monkey said...

Actually, you asked very good questions -- they set me on a train of thought all day!

Unknown said...

Those were the same questions I got asked. haha.

now thats sad.

Mythical Monkey said...

Or maybe I wasn't supposed to make up new questions. Following directions was never my strong suit.

Actually, that's not true. I'm very good at following directions. I just have no sense of direction. I could get lost on my way to the grocery store ...

If you want to ask more questions, don't hesitate. As I tell Katie-Bar-The-Door all the time, "Ask me a question, I'll tell you anything."

You know, as long as it's a question I don't mind answering ...

Unknown said...

Haha nope you did it right. I did it wrong.

I get lost ALL the time. haha.

Alrighty!

Mythical Monkey said...

I'd just say you were right and go with that.

As Katie, who's a computer analyst, would say, "That's not a mistake, that's a feature!"

Maggie said...

What fun!

1) I never wear shoes when I talk to a penguin.

2)The pipe organ. It seems appropriate as I go mad.

3) Any nougat?

4) E&J. Huh,what?

5) Paris, always.

6) LOL, silly man.

7) Cinzia Zaccardi (Sophia Loren) to Tom Winters (Cary Grant) in 'Houseboat.'

8) Oops, I did it again.

Thanks, MM. : )

Erik Beck said...

Oh, the Amazon answer kills me. You know I work in an independent bookstore, right?

Am I supposed to answer all 16?

First 8

1 - Carol Mooney. Or possibly Gandalf.

2 - Powell's City of Books, which is not the story I currently work for, but hey, it's the largest bookstore in the world.

3 - a bassett hound named Bill

4 - the dream book store my wife and I first decided on when we met that wouldn't sell John Grisham or Emily Dickinson

5 - Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite

6 - give championships to under-funded, under-talented baseball teams by taking them from New York

7 - books, books, and, oh yeah, more books - just like every year

8 - I was Elwood Blues last year because I had to pull off something I could wear at work - perhaps this year, I'll go back to the black trenchcoat, black fedora and lightsaber and be a member of the Jedi mafia

Monkey's 8:

1 - my Calderas, if I ever get them fixed

2 - the tuba - what could be sexier than a middle aged guy playing the tuba, right?

3 - cake

4 - Reading

5 - Paris all the way

6 - dark chocolate

7 - Jane Fonda, circa 1966/67/68

8 - well, I walked up the aisle to the Imperial March, but I think I'll go with "Now I'm a Man" by DVDA from Orgazmo

Mythical Monkey said...

Oh, the Amazon answer kills me. You know I work in an independent bookstore, right?

I did not know that, although I wasn't thinking of books from amazon.com, but movies. I like to hold the book in my hands before I buy it, and it's almost always an immediate gratification purchase -- something I've read about or thought of and I want to read it now.

You can only get that in a bookstore ...

Movies on the other hand, in this area at least, the selection is limited to more recent stuff. My last movie purchase was William S. Hart in 1916's Hell's Hinges which recently became available for under $10 after being available only as part of an $80 collection of early stuff I have to admit I wasn't particularly interested in.

Katie said...

Ok, nobody asked me, but I'm going to answer anyway.

1. We'll if I'm walking it's probably my sneakers. Otherwise its a gorgeous pair of magenta outrageously high heels.

2. Well not a guitar, it would mess up my manicure. And not the clarinet, which I already know how to play (badly). I'll have to go with piano despite it's lack of portability.

3. Death. No, no, wait!!! Cake. As long as it's low cal or really delicious.

4. Gotta take a ride on the Reading.

5. Tapas in Barcelona. Mussels make my tum-tum unhappy.

6. Dark. White chocolate is an abomination, and milk chocolate is just a cop-out.

7. William Powell of course. "Can you reach the water?"

8. Love Shack by B-52s, or Mercy by Duffy

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

(1) The ones with rubber souls of course

(2) Guitar, because it's infinite!

(3) I'll take ... cake -- thank you very much

(4) The Reading RR, on account of it's more lit'ry

(5) Tapas; because if I said moules et frites I'd be bluffing, and I hear it's never a good idea to bluff the Mythical Monkey

(6) Now don't be messing with my chocolate, sonny -- milk chocolate's the American Chocolate, it's the patriotic chocolate; i was practically raised on stale Hershey bars; it's in my soul & in my blood, milk chocolate is just ... just ... just don't be messing with my chocolate, that's all i'm saying

(7) Gail Patrick and I'm not lying

(8) A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request

Mythical Monkey said...

Speaking of the Cubs, Who, Katie-Bar-The-Door and I went to Wrigley Field when were in Chicago back in September. Great seats, too. Upper deck, fifth row, under the press box, an arm's length from the television camera guy. Beautiful day. A nice breeze blowing out. Aramis Ramirez crushed a home run.

Of course, the Cardinals won, 7-1, with Adam Wainwright picking up his 20th win, but we ignored that.

Mythical Monkey said...

By the way, I encourage everybody to toddle on over to The Mouth O' The Mule to read his answers to this fine quiz. Just click here.

Mythical Monkey said...

As for me ...

1) Favorite shoes of all-time? The first pair of Allen Edmonds black wing-tips I ever bought. Currently -- a beat-up pair of penny loafers.

2) Before I die, I want to learn Spanish and guitar, so Spanish guitar.

3) I'm thinking, I'm thinking ...

4) The B&O, of course!

5) Tapas in Barcelona. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over ...

6) Milk chocolate, although I like white chocolate. Dark chocolate is the abomination.

7) Myrna Loy, since I'd be William Powell in The Thin Man.

8) I'd like to say "Voodoo Chile" by Jimi Hendrix, but I'm afraid the Beatles' "Help!" would be more accurate.