Friday, December 31, 2010

Okay, So This Is The Last Post Of 2010

Matthew Blanchette steered me to an even earlier surviving film from Louis Aimé Augustin Le Prince than the one I've previously mentioned, Roundhay Garden Scene. This one is called Man Walking Around A Corner and it dates from 1887 or 1888. Thanks, Matthew! It was shot on an earlier version of Le Prince's camera, this one with sixteen separate lenses. Looks more like a spider's eye than a camera, don't you think?

I've added this note as a postscript to my original essay, but what are the chances you comb through old blog posts looking for updates, right?

Anyway, here's the film. Oh, and check out Matthew's blog, A Day In The Life, while you're at it.

9 comments:

Max Evel said...

Happy New Years !

Mythical Monkey said...

Thanks, Max. And a Happy New Year to you, too. Keep up the evil good work!

Uncle Tom said...

so you're saying "I saw a film today...oh boy"

Mythical Monkey said...

Yeah, I saw about ten films today, oh boy ...

Matthew Blanchette said...

Thanks for the mention, Mythical Monkey! I really wasn't expecting it. :-)

Glad I could help provide a little more information...

Mythical Monkey said...

We here at the Monkey like to give credit where credit is due -- thanks, Matthew!

Uncle Tom said...

well it is called "A Day in the Life"

Matthew Blanchette said...

Quite welcome, Monkey... :-)

Laura Leivick said...

About Musidora, the Tenth Muse, the complete "Les Vampires" (with, as I recall, annoying tinting and score)was reisuued in 1998:
Les Vampires (1915-1916)
a film directed by Louis Feuillade
on four videocassettes pages, $99.95
published by Waterbearer Films
on laser disc pages, $124.99
published by Image Entertainment

from Laura Leivick, who loves monkeys