Friday, August 12, 2011

The Dick Van Dyke Show Blogathon At Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear

Just thought I'd mention that Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. of Thrilling Days Of Yesteryear is hosting his first every blog-a-thon this October 3rd in celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of The Dick Van Dyke Show, one of the greatest television sitcoms ever (maybe the greatest) and certainly the one whose example set the pattern for my own workplace behavior, with me playing the role of Dick Van Dyke, my good friend bellotoot as Morey Amsterdam and the ever lovable Mister Muleboy as Rose Marie.

Time to get cracking!

8 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

one of the greatest television sitcoms ever (maybe the greatest)

Ah, I like the way you think, MM. And thanks for promoting the blogathon!

Sissy said...

I'll slip into some capris and take a look!

KC said...

Ha! Where did you get that awesome picture?

Mythical Monkey said...

Actually, Annie Leibovitz took that photo for Vanity Fair back in 1995. It was such a great photo, I never forgot it and was the first thing I thought of when I wanted to post something about Ivan's Dick Van Dyke blog-a-thon.

Yvette said...

Great photo!! Only Annie would have the nerve. HA!

I look forward to the blogathon.

FlickChick said...

That photo is priceless on so many levels (but why do I feel so dirty?)

Mythical Monkey said...

(but why do I feel so dirty?)

My personal theory about the photo is that it makes us laugh because it's so unexpected, but it sticks with us because deep down we know it's true -- Rob and Laura spent the entire series chaffing at society's expectations for them, that he would be the bread-winner and she would be the stay-at-home mom -- in fact, he hated to be in charge and she wanted to do something.

Glad to see they made it.

J F Norris said...

Fantastic photo! MTM would've made a great dominatrix. I hear there's a secret episode of the MTM Show with Mary Richards indulging in her secret pastime and Ted Baxter as her grovelling, boot licking patsy.

Looking forward to the Van Dyke mania. I've joined the party and am promoting it at my blog as well.