Sunday, August 15, 2021

Alternate Oscars: 2007 (Re-Do)

I actively avoided There Will Be Blood for a decade — perhaps because the famous line "I drink your milkshake!" led me to believe it was a comedy about dairy products. Glad I finally saw it. It's a terrific tale about an oilman (Daniel Day-Lewis, winning the second of his three Oscars) who gains the world and loses his soul. Look it up, you might like it. (You can read my review here).


My choices are noted with a ★. A tie is indicated with a ✪. Historical Oscar winners are noted with a ✔. Best foreign-language picture winners are noted with an ƒ. Best animated feature winners are noted with an @. A historical winner who won in a different category is noted with a ✱.

5 comments:

mister muleboy said...

I couldn’t vote for Phil Hoffman as BSA (I thought Bardem transcended the cartoon) (you know me and the Coens), but the *character* he portrayed in Charlie Wilson’s War was tip tip top and he was great fun

Mythical Monkey said...

Charlie Wilson's War is actually my favorite Phillip Seymour Hoffman performance, which is saying something. But Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men has become iconic. Thus my vote.

Mythical Monkey said...

Mister Muleboy sent me an email responding to my comment responding to his comment ...

I appended another comment (twice), but Blogger keeps throwing an error. I just noted that Hoffman somehow nails cynical, slovenly, smart, and sympathetic — all while being the collaborator you want to kill to get him out of your hair. In an old-Hollywood way that is also as real as anything anybody’s done.

Hanks makes really good old-Hollywood style movies, I’m my book. Gahd bless him.

Wonder which Marvel character he’ll play . . . ?

Mythical Monkey said...

You know what else I like about Charlie Wilson's War? It clocks in at a spritely 1 hour and 42 minutes (including closing credits). That's old-style filmmaking. Movies these days have gotten too flabby for their own good. Get to the point!

Sean Ingram said...

I loved Day Lewis' performance in There Will Be Blood, but with time, I am coming to terms that Casey Affleck gave the best and most complex lead acting performance of the entire 2007. Day Lewis is showy and that unfortunately makes Affleck's incredibly subtle performance to be taken for granted. I do wish that Casey gets more votes at least, even if he doesn't overtake Day Lewis.