Monday, May 22, 2023

1951 Alternate Oscars

Voting for best picture is pretty evenly divided between A Streetcar Named Desire and The African Queen. Gotta be honest with you, though, while I respect Streetcar, I've never enjoyed Streetcar. Just not what I'm looking to watch when I go to the movies.

The African Queen, on the other hand ...
Family story. My late mother was on a little-remembered game show in New York back in the late '50s called Haggis Baggis, the point of which was to answer trivia questions to light up a square on a board that would eventually reveal a photo of a famous person. My mom knew her trivia and her movie stars. Won for a week running until they brought in a ringer (an usher at the studio) to knock her out.

All of which is beside the point. As part of some preplanned banter with the show's host (either Jack Linkletter, Fred Robbins or Dennis James, I don't remember which), he said something to the effect that she looked like Kim Hunter, and my mom's response was "Oh, wasn't she in A Streetcar Named Desire?" in that syrupy Southern accent of hers ...

Still don't much care for A Streetcar Named Desire but we got a house full of high end furniture out of it, some of which is still in the family ...







My choices are noted with a ★. A tie is indicated with a ✪. Historical Oscar winners are noted with a ✔. Best foreign-language picture winners are noted with an ƒ. A historical winner who won in a different category is noted with a ✱.

No comments: