Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Monkey Visits Relatives

Katie-Bar-The-Door and I went to TCM's screening of the new hi-def print of The Wizard of Oz at one of our local theaters last night. Who knows how many times we've seen the movie but it was the first time either of us had seen it in a theater. As always, it makes a difference even if the woman sitting next to us carried on a nonstop conversation in a normal tone of voice from the moment the lights went down until they came back up again, and some guy in the third row with a phosphorus flare of an iPhone screen kept checking, well, something, maybe for updates on this blog.

Anyway, I offer up this photo of the evening—that's me on the left, Katie in the middle and our Chatty Cathy neighbor on the right.

Blogwise, we'll get to The Wizard of Oz in 1939. I foresee nominations for best picture, actress (Judy Garland), director (Victor Fleming, who also directed Gone With The Wind) and supporting actor (Bert Lahr).

Next up: the best screenplay of 1930-31.

7 comments:

Sunny Jim said...

Let's not forget this shot of mister muleboy out in the lobby. . . .


Or is this that muleboy?

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

What movie most greatly frightened the young Who out of what few wits he had? Advantage: Wizard of Oz!

Lupner said...

One of my favorite movies of all time. A real treat to see it on the big screen!

Lupner said...

P.S. People talking throughout a film is one of the few things that can drive me to violence.

Mythical Monkey said...

Well, I tell you, lupner, Katie-Bar-The-Door was ready to climb over me and throttle somebody. The talking woman was simply impervious to all the normal, polite entreaties. Ironically, the only reason she was sitting there was because Katie and I had moved over one seat to make room for her and her two companions.

That'll teach us!

Uncle Tom said...

along with the abominable snowman from "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", the flying monkeys from "The Wizard of Oz" are the scariest fictional creatures of all time. Well at least to a five year old.

By the way - what you describe is exactly why I don't go the movies anymore -

The Big Train said...

While I understand Uncle TOm's sentiments, I can only suggest that he's still missing out on a LOT if he's just sitting at home, either alone or with a few family members, watching "DVDs" and "OnDemand" "movies" -- that is an experience that I find akin to death.

While I lament the talkers, I'll take 'em 9 times out of ten over the TV-watching experience.

And yes, that includes a 50" Hi-Def running BluRay at 1080p . . . .

Which was under development in my day.