Friday, February 17, 2012

The Katie-Bar-The-Door Awards (1970)

The editor of my other internet gig, Sharpologist, has asked for a new post so I'll be working on that. Which means this is the last of the Katie Award posts for a while.

Beginning this weekend, I'll start promoting Monty's March Madness Greatest Actress Tournament. As I mentioned the other day, I'll be hosting the Silent Era/1930s bracket—32 actresses competing for a shot at the Final Four. Long-shot entrant Irene Dunne won the whole thing last year and she'll be defending her title right here at the Monkey. But she's got some tough competition, including Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck, Myrna Loy and Jean Harlow.

Voting starts March 5.

Meanwhile, enjoy this iconic scene from Five Easy Pieces:



PICTURE (Drama)
winner: Five Easy Pieces (prod. Bob Rafelson and Richard Wechsler)
nominees: Airport (prod. Ross Hunter); The Boys in the Band (prod. Mart Crowley); Colossus: The Forbin Project (prod. Stanley Chase); Little Big Man (prod. Stuart Millar); Patton (prod. Frank McCarthy); Ryan's Daughter (prod. Anthony Havelock-Allan); Tora! Tora! Tora! (prod. Richard Fleischer and Elmo Williams)


PICTURE (Comedy/Musical)
winner: M*A*S*H (prod. Ingo Preminger)
nominees: The Ballad of Cable Hogue (prod Sam Peckinpah); Gimme Shelter (prod. Porter Bibb and Ronald Schneider); Kelly's Heroes (prod. Sidney Beckerman and Gabriel Katzka); Let It Be (prod. Neil Aspinall and Mal Evans); Scrooge (prod Robert H. Solo); The Twelve Chairs (prod. Ronald H. Gilbert and Michael Hertzberg); Woodstock (prod. Bob Maurice)


PICTURE (Foreign Language)
winner: Il conformista (The Conformist) (prod. Maurizio Lodi-Fè)
nominees: Le Cercle Rouge (prod. Robert Dorfmann); Le boucher (prod. André Génovès); Domicile conjugal (Bed & Board) (prod. Marcel Berbert and François Truffaut); L'enfant sauvage (The Wild Child) (prod. Néstor Almendros); Il giardino dei Finzi Contini (The Garden of the Finzi-Continis) (prod. Arthur Cohn, Gianni Hecht Lucari and Artur Brauner); Le genou de Claire (Claire's Knee) (prod. Pierre Cottrell and Barbet Schroeder); El topo (prod. Mick Gochanour, Juan López Moctezuma, Moshe Rosemberg and Saúl Rosemberg); Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto (Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion) (prod. Marina Cicogna and Daniele Senatore); Tristana (prod. Luis Buñuel and Robert Dorfmann)


ACTOR (Drama)
winner: George C. Scott (Patton)
nominees: Melvyn Douglas (I Never Sang for My Father); Ben Gazzara (Husbands); Dustin Hoffman (Little Big Man); James Earl Jones (The Great White Hope); Jack Nicholson (Five Easy Pieces); Fernando Rey (Tristana); Jean-Louis Trintignant (Il conformista a.k.a. The Conformist)


ACTOR (Comedy/Musical)
winner: Alan Arkin (Catch-22)
nominees: Clint Eastwood (Two Mules for Sister Sara and Kelly's Heroes); Albert Finney (Scrooge); Elliott Gould (M*A*S*H); Jack Lemmon (The Out of Towners); Jason Robards (The Ballad Of Cable Hogue); Donald Sutherland (M*A*S*H); Gene Wilder (Start the Revolution Without Me)


ACTRESS (Drama)
winner: Glenda Jackson (Women In Love)
nominees: Catherine Deneuve (Tristana); Sarah Miles (Ryan's Daughter); Tuesday Weld (I Walk The Line)


ACTRESS (Comedy/Musical)
winner: Carrie Snodgress (Diary Of A Mad Housewife)
nominees: Julie Andrews (Darling Lili); Sandy Dennis (The Out of Towners); Glenda Jackson (The Music Lovers); Shirley MacLaine (Two Mules for Sister Sara)


DIRECTOR (Drama)
winner: Bernardo Bertolucci (Il Conformista a.k.a. The Conformist)
nominees: Vittorio de Sica (Il giardino dei Finzi Contini a.k.a The Garden of the Finzi-Continis); David Lean (Ryan's Daughter); Jean-Pierre Melville (Le Cercle Rouge); Arthur Penn (Little Big Man); Bob Rafelson (Five Easy Pieces); Eric Rohmer (Le genou de Claire a.k.a. Claire's Knee); Franklin J. Schaffner (Patton)


DIRECTOR (Comedy/Musical)
winner: Robert Altman (M*A*S*H)
nominees: Mel Brooks (The Twelve Chairs); Ronald Neame (Scrooge); Mike Nichols (Catch-22); Sam Peckinpah (The Ballad of Cable Hogue); François Truffaut (Domicile conjugal a.k.a. Bed & Board)


SUPPORTING ACTOR
winner: Chief Dan George (Little Big Man)
nominees: Robert Duvall (M*A*S*H); Gene Hackman (I Never Sang For My Father); Frank Langella (Diary of a Mad Housewife and The Twelve Chairs); Karl Malden (Patton); Telly Savalas (Kelly's Heroes); Orson Welles (Catch-22)


SUPPORTING ACTRESS
winner: Karen Black (Five Easy Pieces)
nominees: Helen Hayes (Airport); Sally Kellerman (M*A*S*H); Lois Smith (Five Easy Pieces); Lee Grant (The Landlord); Stella Stevens (The Ballad of Cable Hogue)


SCREENPLAY
winner: Carole Eastman (as Adrien Joyce) (screenplay), from a story by Bob Rafelson and Carole Eastman (as Adrien Joyce) (Five Easy Pieces)
nominees: Bernardo Bertolucci, from the novel by Alberto Moravia (Il Conformista a.k.a. The Conformist); Ring Lardner, Jr., from the novel by Richard Hooker (M*A*S*H); Francis Ford Coppola and Edmund H. North, based on factual material by Ladislas Farago and Omar N. Bradley (Patton)


SPECIAL AWARDS
"Suicide Is Painless" (M*A*S*H) music by Johnny Mandel; lyrics by Michael Altman (Song); Jerry Goldsmith (Patton) (Score); The Beatles (Let It Be) (Original Song Score); Woodstock (Documentary Feature)

4 comments:

mister muleboy said...

(1) Excellent call to note Telly Savalas and his work in Kelly's Heroes; in a movie with a stoic, iconographic, (at least the director thought he was) anti-hero [why, he's shamelessly robbing a bank, got busted out of the officer corps, and he defies authority generally!] and a bunch of loony, anachronistic louts, Savalas grounded the movie and made it plausible. HE was great.

(2) Ring Lardner, Jr. to Elliott Gould: How could you do this? There's not a word that I wrote in the picture.

(2) and why the fvch is there no special mention of the appearance in Diary of a mad Housewife of that great [then-from-Los-Angeles] band -- Alice Cooper ?!?


C'Mon, man, tuck in your shirt -- you're in the Regular Army!

Ginger Ingenue said...

I didn't read the whole post, since I'm horribly behind on this series...as mentioned (at my blog) I haven't read since the late 30s, and want to read 'em all in order, with proper time and attention!

Anyway. I'm just chiming in to say: I followed the link to the Sharpologist page, and now I know what you look like, and what you shave with.

Oh, the things you can learn at one o'clock in the morning. ;)

Mythical Monkey said...

I followed the link to the Sharpologist page, and now I know what you look like, and what you shave with.

I'm a handsome devil, aren't I ...

Jandy said...

Five Easy Pieces is a tough one for me. I can kind of academically appreciate it, but I dislike Jack Nicholson's character so much in it that I can't identify with him at the points where I can tell I'm supposed to. It's a really uneasy film for me, which I guess is intentional to some degree. Conflicting. I do, however, think Karen Black is amazing in it, so I totally endorse your Supporting Actress pick. :)

Le cercle rouge was my favorite new-to-me film I saw in 2011. If The Conformist is better, I guess I gotta get to that one stat. :)