Friday, December 15, 2023

1981 Alternate Oscars

My votes for the five best action sequences in movie history would include (1) any of Buster Keaton's death-defying stunts in his Civil War classic, The General, but especially the train wreck scene, (2) the chariot race in the 1959 version of Ben-Hur, (3) the helicopter attack in Apocalypse Now, (4) the Omaha Beach sequence of Saving Private Ryan, and (5) every minute of Raiders of the Lost Ark, my pick for the best picture of 1981.

Feel free to weigh in with your choices in the comments section below.



My choices are noted with a ★. A tie is indicated with a ✪. Historical Oscar winners are noted with a ✔. Best foreign-language picture winners are noted with an ƒ. A historical winner who won in a different category is noted with a ✱.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wAS ThERE nO BesT ACtrEsS OF THIs yEAR ? nO CZECK MARL

Mythical Monkey said...

Ah, yes, the best actress award. Katharine Hepburn won the Oscar for On Golden Pond. Now I love Katharine Hepburn -- I have her down for eight nominations and three wins, which is a lot in my universe -- but I think her win for On Golden Pond was more like her win in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, when she stood around and looked on supportively while Spencer Tracy did all the heavy lifting, than The Lion in Winter where she was absolutely ferocious.

So I gave the noms to the actresses who were doing the heavy lifting in 1981 ...