Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Aging Of John Wayne

Forgive me for jumping ahead, but let's face it, I'm going to die long before I reach the end of this blog and I thought it might be interesting (to me, if to no one else) to see what John Wayne looked like as he aged over the years. Besides, this should give you something to anticipate since I'll eventually write about every one of these movies.

And forgive me if I recycle the photo from The Big Trail essay, but it's just so amazing I can't not show it again.

The Big Trail (1930) (age 23)

Stagecoach (1939) (age 32)

Red River (1948) (age 41)

The Quiet Man (1952) (age 45)

The Searchers (1956) (age 49)

Rio Bravo (1959) (age 52)

True Grit (1969) (age 62)

The Shootist (1976) (age 69)

6 comments:

mister muleboy said...

I was going to comment that I thought he looked best when he was 49, but then I realized that of COURSE all men look best when they're 49!


In two months, I'll explain that I was mistaken and men look best when 50 . . . .

Mythical Monkey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mythical Monkey said...

You know, they say a man gets the face he deserves by age fifty -- something else to be thankful for today.

Uh, right?

Unknown said...

Just noticed the "Red River D" belt buckle he is wearing in the Rio Bravo picture. Must have seen that movie fifty times, and never noticed it before.

Alex S. said...

John Wayne was one of my all time favorite actors.
A great American and symbol of what was great about this country.

Mythical Monkey said...

A great actor and from the accounts of people who knew him, a great guy as well.