Friday, July 23, 2021

Alternate Oscars: 1987 (Re-Do)

This is one of those years I exercised the "dingoes ate mah baby!" card and skipped over very actor-ly, Oscar-nominated performances by Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep in Ironweed, a mediocre and largely-forgotten drama about a couple of skid row drunks. I opted instead for a pair of iconic performances that the Academy ignored, John Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing.

If you don't like it, you've come to the wrong place.



My choices are noted with a ★. A tie is indicated with a ✪. Historical Oscar winners are noted with a ✔. Best foreign-language picture winners are noted with an ƒ. A historical winner who won in a different category is noted with a ✱.

7 comments:

mister muleboy said...

I could t in good conscience give an Oscar™️ to any of the nominated actors, so I abstained from that category.

We pick on some years as being slim pickins

This is such a year, sez I

mister muleboy said...

In all respects

Mythical Monkey said...

Slim Pickins was great in Dr Strangelove!

mister muleboy said...

I had a $500 bet riding with Watson that you’d respond with him !

Mythical Monkey said...

I had a $500 bet riding with Watson that you’d respond with him !

Me, too! I sure hope I can collect!

Mythical Monkey said...

I could t in good conscience give an Oscar™️ to any of the nominated actors

Wait, when did you develop a conscience?

mister muleboy said...

Game.
Set.



Match.